Fricassee of Monkfish
By Executive Head Chef, Gopi Chandra
360 g monkfish scallops sliced in to 2cm thick
240 g veal sweetbreads (blanched in vegetable stock) sliced in to 1.5 cm thick
10g dried morels (soaked in Brandy)
12 peeled new potatoes sautéed in butter and seasoned
12 baby carrots peeled and blanched, sautéed in butter
100 grams Peas & Broad beans
12 baby leeks blanched and sautéed in butter
200 grams blanched spinach
Picked tarragon leaves
50g of thinly sliced shallots
600ml of Maderia
250ml of port
2 sprig of thyme
1 bay leaves
1 litre brown chicken stock
150ml double cream
Corn flour (to thicken)
- Place Madeira, port, shallots and thyme into a pan and bring to a simmer and then reduce by two thirds before adding the chicken stock. Bring back to a simmer and then reduce by a third.
- Take off the heat and pass through a fine sieve or muslin cloth.
- Carefully add double cream to the sauce, pouring slowly and bring to a boil before taking off the heat to whisk in the butter. Set Aside.
- Season the Monkfish and Veal sweetbreads in butter until golden brown. Be sure to drain off the excess fat on to a paper towel.
- In a large pot, heat the Madeira sauce and begin adding the rest of your ingredients; the Monkfish, veal sweet breads, morels, new potatoes, baby vegetables and tarragon, gently warm without stirring.
- Season and finish off with lemon juice.
- Serve in a copper pan or pasta bowl
- Place spinach on bottom
- Ladle gently on top of the spinach
- Garnish with picked tarragon